PAGE TURNER - Rajkumar Meghen Recommends



Manipur’s rebel supremo, chairman of the United National Liberation Front (UNLF), Rajkumar Meghen, might have stayed underground for decades, but not from the aroma of realistic and revolutionary literature. He speaks to Pankaj Borthakur, while being produced in court in Guwahati.


What does literature mean to you? Do you think it has any relevance in our day-to-day lives? According to you, does it have anything to do with all that is happening around us?
Literature is the reflection of our genuine thoughts and feelings. I see literature as a mirror of our life and society. It has significance and relevance in our daily life. I love realism in literature rather than its fictional aspects. As a human being, I have to work for the people who are deprived of their rights in their motherland. As a medium of social change, literature can do a lot for generating democratic thoughts in the real sense among the people.

How close is your relation with literature in general, and with literature of the Northeast in particular?
Rajkumar Meghen, Chairman, UNLF
I was a student of political science and international relations. Besides this, I had to stay far away from the crowd for decades during my struggle. I could not avail of the chances of reading masterpieces in the jungle. But I cannot forget the aroma of revolutionary literature that inspired many leaders of the world who had fought for the rights of people. I always preferred revolutionary literature in general when I was a student. Believe it or not, it was revolutionary writings of Ho Chi Minh that had inspired me a lot to carry out struggle for our people’s rights.I believe literature of the Northeast is developing as I have heard that many young talents have come into the realm of Northeast literature.

What future do you see for literature from the Northeast?
It is a very difficult question to comment on. But I can say personally that literature from our region should focus on the actual picture of deprivation and suffering of all sections of the people, irrespective of caste, creed and religion. This kind of approach, which we saw in our past also, will strengthen the sense of brotherhood among all the people of the Northeast. Realistic literature will play a significant role in the development of the Northeast, I hope.

Name one book that had a lasting impact on you. In what way?
I should not mention only one book in this regard. I read the writings of Ho Chi Minh many times in my life, which inspired me a lot to carry on with the struggle against the colonial power for the rights of Manipur and of the Northeast as a whole. Minh was the president of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam and he fought against colonialism.

What book would you recommend for our readers and why?
It depends on the tastes of our readers. I cannot recommend their books as I was not a voracious reader. I like books on Minh because he inspired me a lot. Readers have their own choices. I feel that sensitive people have always made the right choices for themselves when it comes to books.

No comments:

Post a Comment