Looking back, moving on - Jerifa Waheed



I read a number of books in 2011. Of them, The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch and Keep Going: The Art of Perseverance by Joseph M Marshall deeply influenced me. The first book is about how a person can live a contented life against all odds. The main character, a college professor, is a cancer patient. He knows he is going to die after six months. So, he makes the most of his life without worrying about his inevitable end. The lecture he gives at the college, an annual event, is his last. Keep Going is about the virtues of pertinacity. The message it brings the reader is: take life positively. Such books inspire us to live with whatever we have rather than run after money all the time.

I wish to read several books in the coming year. I have already bought Paulo Coelho’s The Winner Stands Alone and Kiran Desai’s Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard. I am also planning to read books by Bhabendra Nath Saikia. I have got a collection of Saikia’s works from his wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment